Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Photo Obsession

So I've been spending more time on flickr than ever before. I joined a couple of San Francisco groups and have been sending some of my new snaps their way. By far the most interesting is Guess Where SF. The idea is to guess the location of whatever picture of the city is posted. I can see how this can become addictive and a useful kick in the pants to get out and walk the city with my camera. On the one hand it makes me want to try to find more unique locations. On the other hand it makes me try to identify more unique locations. I put up a picture of the Sunday school gates at the Christian Science Church at Franklin and California. Somebody figured it out and posted in seven minutes. I'm pretty impressed with the group so far. It has the most active members I've encountered on flickr. The picture I posted yesterday already has 84 views. I'm not telling where it is yet and no one has guessed yet. 


I'm also lurking around some other photography sites. The language on these sites is so different from what I'm used to on the net. Mostly I read news and politics and tech. You can't read more than two comments on any of those subjects without someone getting their blood pressure cranked up. People are actually encouraging to other people's opinions and art. I can't believe it's the same internet. 

No comments: