Friday, January 11, 2008

Our Talents and Our Perceptions

I watched "The Agony and the Ecstasy" tonight. I hadn't seen it in a great many years. Decades probably. I'm pretty sure I had read it sometime my in my Freshman year of high school. It fit right into what I've been thinking about lately. Over the last couple of days I've put some pictures up on flickr. Some of them I like very much. You could even say that I'm proud of them. Tonight my photostream views on flickr passed a thousand. All of this served to remind me of the fact that I generally approve of my photography far more than I do of my writing. That despite the fact that I would probably strongly consider trading my eyesight for being a talented writer. Watching Michelangelo struggle with his talent as a painter while his heart lay in marble seemed fitting somehow tonight. Of course he had that whole greatest artist that ever lived going for him. 


I have an ex whose blog I read secretly. I've gathered from her writing that she has the opposite problem from mine. She longs for the visual arts but has this incredible aptitude for the written word. I would love to write as truly and clearly as she does but I don't think she has any idea of just how inspiring her writing is. 

I'm not going to stop writing. And I'm not going to stop thinking that someday I may produce something that I can be proud of. And I'm not going to stop taking pictures. 

No comments: