Thursday, May 24, 2007

Yes, I guess I Am

Well I made one last attempt to get my iWeb site to publish without giving me errors and spiking the comments. Not only did I fail but I managed to wipe out my keychains on my laptop and now my laptop won't sync back up to .mac. Apple is not on my happy list right now. The problem with that is that for the most part I'm a pretty cynical person. Usually Apple is the only one on my happy list. Now I just have a very long sad list. Wait, there is still Lupica and their day-brightening Earl Grey Renaissance tea that I pretty much drink whenever I'm not sleeping. I'm going to make another glass right now. Ah, yes, that's better.

This week I've decided to revisit del.icio.us. I had played around with the service about a year and a half ago and really didn't get into it. Mostly I think because I hate labeling things. This presents a bit of a problem since I love having things labeled. (Yea, I know, welcome to my world.) I had been struggling with this with my Devon database until I simply stopped using it. (I still use Devon to write and store my stuff but I don't saving all my clippings there anymore) And I wanted a better way to share what I was reading and thinking about. For a little while I had used Newsvine. I like the way Newsvine is set up and it does everything that I would want a social news site to do. The problem is I have with it is similar to my main problem at my job. Randal from Clerks hit the nail on the head when he said "This job would be great if it wasn't for the fucking customers." Newsvine would be great if it wasn't for all the people that use it. This goes to two parts of my psychology. Number one, I'm not that much of a people person. Really I don't hate people or anything, it's just that I could really take them or leave them. Number two, I can't stand the flanks of either side of the political spectrum. I'm a moderate because the far left and the far right are completely divorced from reality. It is those people that scream the loudest on the Internet. I just find all that screaming demoralizing.

So that's why I'm liking del.icio.us. Let the content speak for itself. Of course when I tried to integrate my del.icio.us tags into my iWeb site there was no good way to do it, and iWeb had started spitting out errors whenever I tried to publish, and comments were no longer working, and iWeb has always been a pain in the ass to use on more than one computer, and fixing all of this had managed to screw up my laptop. Most importantly this isn't the first time I or a large block of users have had these kind of problems with this program. Well that's it I'm gone. I'm taking my ball (brain) and going home (using a web based tool).

So far so good. I've had to switch back to Firefox from Safari to get the posting form to work correctly but that's fine because there are some very cool extensions for del.icio.us on firefox. Blogger is much better now than the last time I used it. Smooth, flexible, sexy, everything a man looks for in blogging software.

No comments: