Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Top 10 – Why Blogger Kicks iWeb's Ass

It hasn't yet been a week since I abandoned my previous blog and moved from using iWeb back to blogger. Already though I'm a much happier and productive blogger.

  1. Unlike Apple's iWeb, Blogger just works
  2. Updating a post on Blogger takes seconds instead of minutes on iWeb.
  3. When I forget a period and have to edit a previous post it does not re-create every page I've ever written. (see #2)
  4. Moving between my laptop and my mini is effortless because Blogger is accessible from the Internet. Iweb requires the master domain file to be moved between computers in order to use a different computer.
  5. If you lose your current domain file you can't recover your site from Apple's servers. Blogger emails me every post including the media automatically which for me means all my posts are saved locally on two machines and remotely on Apple and Google's servers.
  6. Space is no longer an issue. With .mac I had 1GB to share between my web site, pictures and email. Google is limiting the photos to 1GB and nearly 3GB for email. Of course all of that extra space doesn't come cheap. Apple charges me $100 a year for that 1GB while Google kicks back the 4GB for free.
  7. I got to use all of the widgets and code I wanted to. I have my flickr badge and my lastFM widget and my del.icio.us tags and feeds on my page and it all took less than a minute to set up. Apple's plug-ins pretty much constitute a counter and a link to Apple.
  8. Blogger lets me change themes on the fly. If I want to change to way my whole site looks I just change the theme. With iWeb that meant recopying every entry into the new format one by one.
  9. While five days is not enough time to call Blogger more reliable I do know that every time I do a security update on my computers I'm not going to lose control of my website.
  10. Blogger is simply more intuitive to use. Whatever I've wanted to do I've found the tool close by and easy to use. (see #1)
The thing is, I didn't want to write this post. I'm a crazy Apple fanboy. I replaced the Brita filter on my kitchen sink with the iWater which only dispenses the Apple cool-aid. I put up with more than a year of frustration with iWeb, wanting it to work, waiting for the cure-all update, waiting for Leopard , waiting for the new iLife. Instead of getting better it got worse. So I got out.

4 comments:

Carl said...

What are your thoughts now after iLife '08 has come out? I'm enjoying iWeb, but the (apparent) inability to post to an iWeb blog away from the computer is a bit of a bummer.

jimjiminyjim said...

Even with iLife '09, most of these issues are *still* issues. Unbelievable.

George said...

@ jimjiminyjim there is no way that you can evaluate the merits of any software before you've actually had your hands on it. Since iWeb '09 was not out on the 17th of Jan. your comment is basically full of ****. Anyway the only thing that blogger is and has been is a blogging site/service. So it's only natural that it will fit better into blogging. There are certain advantages that a web service has over a static piece of software and the whole blogger vs. iWeb discussion is just another example. However iWeb is certainly not without it's merits too. It integrates beautifully with .mac and any hosting that gives you ftp access ( which is pretty much every paid service and most of the free ones ). You get to create a personal site without ever having to deal with installation of web applications like wordpress and without ever having to leave the iWeb application. Also manipulating media is a lot easier with iWeb since you are working on the local machine. You get to import media that you have created/edited in iMovie or iPhoto and you don't have to upload anything until you're ready. So yeah blogger is a little faster for just posting text but iWeb wins hands down if you have a media rich blog. Also if you like our blog to have no adds then blogger is not really and option.

lacadaz said...

Wow almost two years after I wrote this comments keep trickling through. And once more when I get my copy of iLife in the next couple of weeks I'll give it a try. But since then I've bought an iPhone and use that to update my blogger blog often. (Well as often as I post.) I figure Apple will probably come out with a iWeb app for the iPhone sometime in the next 20 years but I don't really feel like waiting that long. Besides this is it for me and Moblie Me. This morning I added my Gmail account to Mail and my iPhone. It's going to take something major to get my $70 out of me to renew again this year.