Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekend to Thrill at the Castro Theater



The Castro Theater is doing a Classic Bond Memorial Day Weekend. Last night John and I saw Dr. No and Goldfinger. Richard "Jaws" Kiel was there signing autographs and giving out headlocks. This was my first visit back to the Castro since moving to the city. I used to the Stanford Theater for old movies at least once a week but have cut down my theater visits in this last year. I've been priced out. $20 to take my self to the movies with popcorn and a drink (an integral part of the movie going experience for me) just seems like a harsh deal. It's all a matter of scale. $10 at the Stanford gets you two movies large popcorn and a large drink. At that price I was going around fifty times a year. Twice that (or more) for a movie in the city and I'm going about 10 times a year. Movie houses are getting less than half of what I'm willing to pay them because their price per viewing is so high. For $25 bucks Netflix sends about 30 movies a month to my house. That's just a better use of the old resources.

Anyway the movies were great. There was a live stunt show on top of the movie from The Stunt People. Actually they were pretty good. Overall a very entertaining evening. I'd never seen either on the big screen and the Castro has a very big screen. Tonight my favorite Bond, "From Russia With Love" is playing. I just might hop on muni after work. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.