Monday, November 26, 2007

Seasons of Light

Another short post this morning I'm afraid. I got up early but Monday is my early day at work thanks to a weekly conference call. I've been trying to work on four projects every day before I do anything else. Sometimes it's tough to get them all in before work. The first thing I try to do is copy at least one of my longhand journal entries onto my computer. I've been writing on the computer since the beginning of 2006 but I have about a thousand pages of longhand that I'm trying to play catch up on. Because I was running late I skipped that part yesterday. I had been working on my September to November 2005 journal but decided to skip around a little bit. I'm going to try to get everything I've written since I moved in here into my iCal by the end of the year. So this morning I started with October 29, 2005. That was a banner day for me. My first morning in my new apartment. It was fun entry to copy. To make up for missing yesterday I did the 30th too. There is a shell-shocked feeling to both of them. I was finding it hard to believe that I had found home. They are happy writings. 

The next thing I do is my morning pages. Since I use a computer now it's hard to keep track of what constitutes three pages. From copying old journals I think that three pages longhand for me ran about 500 words. So I try to put down at least 500 words to start my day. Then I look for a new affirmation. A daily quote to put my day in a positive light. I skipped that this morning. Oh what the hell I should be able to fit that in. I'm typing this sitting next to my Harvard Classics. Let's try the random search method. Carlyle rarely disappoints. Okay, here is a snippet, just a phrase to set a mood, "…most of us, looking back on young years, may remember seasons of light, aerial translucency and elasticity and perfect freedom; the body had not yet become the prison house of the soul, but was its vehicle and implement, like a creature of the thought, and altogether pliant to its bidding." That seems to fit with my fabled nostalgia. 

The last thing I try to do is this. Publish something to my blog. I'm having a good week of it. This is my sixth straight day publishing, and would have been my ninth day journaling if I hadn't lost last Monday's entry in a technical breakdown. Well that's it for me. I'm to work. 

No comments: