Wednesday, November 28, 2007

20,000 Songs


So I hit 20,000 songs scrobbed last night on LastFM. It took just a little over a year to get there. My charts are not entirely accurate though. My last two iPods have not been supported. That isn't a big deal with my shuffle but I've listened to an awful lot of music on my iPhone since I got it, both in Kansas and on my daily commute now that I'm working again on Union Street. Still it is fairly good picture of the evolution of my musical tastes over the last year. Most revealing to me is the number of artists that I discovered over this last year and how high some of them ranked. Three of my top ten I had almost never listened to before in my life, Brian Eno, Tom Waits and the Decemberists. KT Tunstall, I Am Kloot, Rilo Kiley, Doves, of Montreal, Midlake (getting some good airplay this morning), Klaus Schultze, Andrew Bird, Eels, and  Iron & Wine were all new additions to my playlists that made the top 100. The most important musical discovery of the year (maybe my life) was of course Neutral Milk Hotel's, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. This is not to diminish the impact of Tom Waits', Closing Time or I Am Kloot's, I Am Kloot or Leslie Feist's, Remainder. Those last two albums along with In the Aeroplane and Midlake's, The Trials of Van Occupanther are the most under reported because of the iPhone thing. All in all it was a banner year musically and Last FM had a lot to do with it. Similar Artists led to numerous musical discoveries throughout the year. I'm curious and excited for the new year. I got my ear back this year. Thanks Last FM.

No comments: