Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Non-Halloween Halloween

This entry definitely goes into the "My Boring Life" category. I guess
I echoed the city which had cut out the traditional Castro Street
celebration after growing rowdiness cumulated in eight people getting
shot. Halloween has never been my holiday anyhow. I'm just not a dress-
up kinda guy. I guess I've spent my whole life trying to get a handle
on just who I am. It is far too confusing to figure out who I should
be pretending to be.

Some technical notes. After a week of upgrading, installing, deleting,
crashing, tweaking and in general computer geeking I think I've got
Leopard set up on my laptop how I want it. Despite what wasn't the
easiest upgrade in computer history I'm pretty satisfied with the
result. I know that everyone else was worked up about Time Machine but
I couldn't see what the fuss was about. Yesterday it was the last
major feature I set up. To tell you the truth I was impressed. It
backs up without me feeling a resource hit at all. More importantly it
restores easily. I can't tell you how many times I've spent time, and
computer resources on back-ups that when I want to restore a file
turned out to be absolutely useless. Last night I just popped back in
time a couple of hours and poof restored a file I had deleted. It was
easy and frankly the interface is fun.

The biggest change to my daily computing will be in the upgrades to
Mail and iCal. Having started journaling and blogging using mail on my
iPhone it is nice to be able to then back up my entries to my calendar
easily and quickly. Now if Steve can just get it together with to-do
lists and the iPhone all will be right in my digital world (yea right,
heard that one before).

Anyway today is the beginning of November. And November is my favorite
month. The air is crisp the wind is blowing, the world seems to be in
sharper focus. It has been two years now since I moved to this
apartment. That first month, that first November month, I spent here I
wrote more than any other in my life. It would be a nice to think that
today is the start of another big month of expression. So here is to
Fall days, thoughts expressed, words shared. Here is to November.

No comments: