Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Astral Weeks

I was looking at my LastFm charts the other night and thought just how much "writing music" dominates the top of the charts. For years and years my favorite album to put on in the morning when I write has been Victorialand by the Cocteau Twins. For a couple of months it was Brian Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks. The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions was combined with Victorialand most of last year to kind of nudge me into consciousness in the morning. This week it has all been about Van the Man. I bought my first copy of Astral Weeks on vinyl over twenty years ago. It has remained one of my all time favorite albums through that entire time. If I had to pick a single desert island album it would probably be this one. It just seems to operate outside of time. I like that. I like it when music transports me and this one brings me to places that nothing else does.

No comments: