Sunday, December 9, 2007

Read Today

Not much to report today. Went to bed late last night but still woke up before seven. I copied the two days after Thanksgiving 2005 from my Moleskine to the computer and then got back into bed and took a nap. I actually did my morning pages on my phone when I woke up. I worked all day alone and I've got to tell you consumer confidence isn't what it used to be. Nobody seemed able to make up their mind. We had our best Sunday since Thanksgiving but I still had a lot of people unable to pull the trigger. I did manage to defrost the fridge at work which was nice since I bought a dozen bagels and shmear from Noah's this morning to feed Joe and I for the week. So much for my petty day. The only thing I really have to report today is that the December 10th New Yorker is really good. Waiting for the bus this morning I read The very different diaries of Leo Lerman and Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. The review opens with the image of earth after man has been supplanted by some new race who has no real use for all things uniquely human. A vision of all the unread notebooks hiding throughout the world all thrown on one giant refuse heap made me smile. I'll have my own little useless corner of that particular pile. The other worthy read was what I consumed me on the way home, a rather personal account of William Styron by his daughter. No link you'll just have to buy the magazine. Which is worth it just for this cartoon alone. As soon as it's available I'm getting the shirt made. Oh and a beautiful poem called Picnic by an Inland Sea.  

No comments: