Monday, June 11, 2007

I Love Gridlock

The conservative side of me is always happier when our government is divided. As long as the branches are fighting themselves and each other they are doing less to screw up the country and the world. That's why my heart was warmed when I read this article from yesterday's The Hill on the Republican bid to stop changes to the earmark process. Frankly, I have no opinion on the rule change itself. When it comes to money I have long given up trusting either party. The whole purpose of earmarks, no matter when they are slid into the budget, is to hide spending in a document that is too massive for anyone to read before it is voted on. All I know is that slowing down the legislative process in a congress as deeply divided as this one before presenting bills to a president of a different party is going to make it unlikely that they are going to be able to do much of anything. So the Libertarians win without having much of a caucus. Not bad in my opinion.

No comments: