Saturday, September 27, 2008

Waiting for the Leaves to Change

Fall should be around the corner but so far all I've gotten is our regular Indian Summer. That has been good for business but not necessarily for my mood. I spent more of this week out of the mild conditions of my apartment and my store than I usually do. For example right now I'm killing an hour in the Starbucks next to my store on Union Street. It is as usual pretty warm in here. It was the same for the morning I spent at the Sugar Cafe. The Jury Assembly room at hall of Justice wasn't very well ventilated and Part 21 of the Superior Court was the worst of all. 


Yes I had jury duty this week. I never made it into the jury box for questioning. I spent most of my time catching up with old lightly read New Yorker's (I even found 2 cartoons I had missed) and watching what would have been the most boring episode of Law and Order ever. To tell the truth I don't mind jury duty all that much. With no mandatory military service it is really the only civic duty we have other than paying taxes which is a pretty good deal for living in the most free nation ever conceived. That and the fact that I have an exaggerated appreciation of my judgement and fairness. I think I would make a good juror. Heck if they would pay more than $17.50 a day and have more than a couple of days of work a week I'd be willing to go pro.

Anyway I had very little chance of being picked for this jury as the case was just too close to the same types of crime I and the store's I supervise are often the victims of. So I did a lot of paying attention to what was going on. It was stereotype city, right down to the bow tie on the public defender's neck. I would have sworn that I have seen the judge, attorneys, bailiff, and court clerk playing themselves on television. 

Because of jury duty I only managed a single day off and I spent that on a last minute trip to Muir Woods. I've also had to do some support work for some other stores in the city. I am out of my routine in a time of the year that I like to renew the best parts of my routines. Fall is to me what Spring is to most people. This is mainly because I can't think straight during the warm months and have always felt saver in the cool overcast of winter. It may have to do with an unwarranted fear of spy satellites I don't really know. All I know is that I'm feeling overdue for a creative breakout and it's just not there yet. The good news is that the calendar moves on despite any of our wishes so I do know that it's on its way. 

1 comment:

Toni said...

Fall too is my favorite. Here we have leaves that run down the street as it they had legs.