Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mokas

Mokas

Before I could takle the aforementioned hill I needed to refresh
myself. As luck would have it my all time favorite fast food was at
the corner at the bottom of the hill: Long John Silvers. I think that
it is criminal that I have to go from San Francisco to Kansas to get
good, cheap, fried fish but that's the way it is.

After lunch I crossed the street to Mokas Cofee which is the only Café
with wireless I could find in town. That it was so close to my mother
and sister's apartments was just pure bonus. Despite the strip mall
exterior it turned out to be a wonderfully comfortable establishment
with good strong coffee, a friendly and attractive barista and
virtually no business on a week day afternoon. I stayed for an hour
and a half writing in my journal. After avoiding my daily pages for
most of the last two months it has been gushing out, out here.

Part of what made it such a sucessful day was the presence of my
latest Apple goodie. Last Tuesday I went to the Apple store to get a
new iPod for my trip. I thought it would be easy. See if the weight an
form factor of the Nano was worth giving up the ability to back up my
entire MacBook with a classic. The problem was that while both devices
were nice they were nothing like holding and using an iPhone. Not even
in the same ballpark. So after much deliberation (and a break for
lunch) I got the iPhone. It has been my single device companion ever
since. Right now I'm sitting on a riverbank typing this. Yesterday I
was sitting in a Café cheerfully typing out a thousand words in an
hour and a half. When I wake up on the middle of the night its right
there to take down my dream notes without getting up or balancing a
five pound laptop on my chest while straining my neck all to hell. As
a person who lived his life on foot reducing my personal tech gear to
a single five ounce gadget is major. More than I wanted to spend for a
phone? Yea, it was. I was hoping when I bought it I wouldn't have any
regrets about the expense. After a week of use I can honestly say it
exceeded my already high expectations.

No comments: