Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hills, Nudges, and the Salina High Country

Hills, Nudges, and the Salina High Country

Yesterday was my first day on my own here in Salina. I slept in for
the first time in recent memory. In fact I think I had a full nights
sleep and I can't begin to tell you how rare that is for me. My mother
goes to my sister's for lunch every day to walk Sadie the dog. I met
her there. I played with the dog while my mother ate her lunch. Then I
caught a ride down "The Hill" the fish and chips shop and what appears
to be the only Café with wi-fi in town.

Now I must comment on this alleged hill. I live on a hill. A sharp
change in elevation from whose crest you are afforded a view of the
surrounding area. My hill happens to be a little famous but that is
not the issue here. What is the issue is the use of the term to
describe a geographical reference point and a set of neighborhoods.
This is not a hill. This a nudge in the earth. My mother actually
expressed concern on my walking back home up "The Hil". Yea, okay. I
took a little snapshot of this alleged high country.

No comments: