Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dock of the Bay

Got a craving for In-N-Out Burger this morning. I decided that I was
likely to spend another weekend hardly stepping out of my apartment
and maybe I should something about that. So I picked myself up and
caught a cable car down to the wharf. I'm out on the pier next to
Forbes Island staring right at Alcatraz. The whole bay is fogged in.
It's cool but not cold. I'm in a light sweater doing fine. This
weather may cool the flesh but it warms my heart. The seals are
barking up a storm at pier 39. I've seen a couple pass in front of me
heading back into the bay.

The Museé Mécanique had moved from its traditional location at the
Cliff House a few years ago before they tore it down and rebuilt it. I
remember they were having trouble finding a place for it. It is here
at Fisherman's Wharf. Pier 45 actually. I took a wander through it
just to be reminded of all the wild old machines. Laughing Sal still
greets you when you walk in. I'll start home soon, go home and do some
housework but I'm starting to remember how to relax. How to simply be.

No comments: